Fall protection minimum standards include:
Safety harnesses, lanyards, lifelines, and fall arresting devices must be approved under these CSA
- Lanyard: CAN/CSA 259.1-95 (R1999), Safety Belts and Lanyards
- Connecting components: CAN/CSA 259.12-01 Connecting Components for Personal Fall Arrest
- Rope grabs: CAN/CSA 259.2.1-98 Self Retracting Devices for Personal Fall-Arrest Systems
- Full body harness: CAN/CSA 259.10-M90 (R1998)
- Full Body Harnesses shock absorbing lanyard: CAN/CSA 259.11-M92 (R1998) Shock Absorbers for Personal Fall-Arrest Systems CSA Standard Z259.2.1-98, Fall Arrests, Vertical Lifelines, and Rails
Full body harnesses and double lanyards, complete with shock absorbers and locking snaps, are mandatory requirements for personal fall protection. A safety harness and lanyard shall be worn and clipped on when working outside complete platforms. Safety belts are insufficient as falls can cause abdominal injuries. This requirement applies to all workers. The design of structures and the planning of work allows for the fitting of lifelines to facilitate clipping on.
Fall protection will be used at all unprotected elevations 1.8 m (6 ft.) and above, even though 10ft is mandatory as per the code. Many of our clients are now going above and beyond the code set rule which is 6ft. The use of retractables will be strongly encouraged and considered for fall arrest applications. Workers will review and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on care and use of harnesses. Harnesses will be adjusted so they fit snugly to the body. Lanyards shall only be attached to secure anchor points, capable of supporting 22.2 kN/5400 lb. per person.
Care shall be taken to avoid damage from heat or sharp objects. Free fall distance shall not exceed 1.8 m (6 ft.). Horizontal and vertical lifelines and components will be a manufactured system used in accordance with the specifications, or a system designed, used and installed in accordance with the specifications of a professional engineer. Fall arrest systems or equipment will only be used for the purpose intended. Fall arrest equipment must only be used in a load bearing manner in the event of a fall.
Share This Article
Subscribe to our RSS Feed. What is RSS?