NOTE: All Boosting must be performed by a competent individual. PPE Requirements for Boosting Vehicles/Equipment
- Wear CSA approved safety glasses and face shield.
- Exposed skin must be protected.
- Leather Gloves must be worn.
Tips on Boosting (Refer to the manufacturer Specifications and Owner’s Manual)
- Ensure that sources of ignition, such as smoking, are extinguished for a radius of 30 feet.
- Position the vehicles close together, with their batteries as close to each other as possible, but NOT TOUCHING.
- Ensure that both vehicles have the same battery voltage (12 volts is typical, but some utility vehicles may have 24 volt systems which could give a computer cooking power surge).
- Turn off the live vehicle and all accessories in both vehicles (live and dead) except the heater fan. The heater fan motor may help protect your Vehicle’s computer and electrical system from potential power surges.
- Attach positive red cable end to the positive terminal (+ or pos) on the dead Vehicle.
- Attach the other end of the red cable to the (+ or pos) terminal on the live Vehicle.
- Attach the negative black cable end (-or neg) to the negative post on the live Vehicle.
- Attach the remaining black cable end to an unpainted metal surface on the dead Vehicle, not to the battery post. (A spark could result and this spark could react with the hydrogen gas which is always present in a battery causing an explosion).
- Double check all the connections making sure the cables are not crossed and that they are clear of all belts and the motor fan. Ensure the vehicles are in the neutral position and ask all people to keep clear of the vehicles.
- Start the boosting (live) Vehicle first, and run it at fast idle.
- Start the dead vehicle. If it is difficult to start, allow a few minutes between attempts for the battery and starter to cool down.
Share This Article
Subscribe to our RSS Feed. What is RSS?