The following guidelines apply to the operation of elevated work platforms:
- Aerial work platforms must be provided with an engineered anchor point for personal tie off. This includes scissor lifts.
- Scissor lift handrails are not rated as anchor points.
- The platform that the worker is on shall have continuous hand or grab rail inside the perimeter (double handrail system) of the suspended platform to minimize potential pinch points (Line of fire).
- No compressed gas cylinders and nothing that extends beyond the platform perimeter are to be carried on an elevated work platform.
- Equipment must be situated on level, solid ground with the outriggers (if so equipped) fully extended.
- Mats are to be used to maintain stability where ground conditions dictate.
- Controls inside the basket must be used to elevate or lower aerial work platforms.
- Ground level controls must always be manned when controls are not provided at the working platform.
- Ground controls shall only be used for conducting inspections and / or Emergency Response purposes.
- The ground area under the basket is to be roped off using isolation ribbon or pylons if there is a danger of tools or material falling
- Materials shall never be suspended or tied-off to the aerial work platforms.
- Never tie or suspend cords and cables to aerial work platform baskets.
- Cords and cables can be hoisted freely by hand and tied off to skeletal structures.
- A dry chemical extinguisher must be maintained on the equipment at all times.
Share This Article
Subscribe to our RSS Feed. What is RSS?