What is inorganic Lead?
According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ”Inorganic Lead” is defined as lead oxides, metallic leas, and lead salts (including organic salts such as lead soaps but excluding lead arsenate).
Inorganic lead is mainly absorbed into the body by inhaling dust or fumes and by swallowing if it gets on the hands, face, clothing, food, drink or cigarettes if you are a smoker.
Examples of work operations that may cause exposure to lead:
- Spray painting or hand painting using lead based paint (paint bought after 1992 is virtually lead free, unless specifically labeled as lead containing paint). Please read and obey all the safety instruction next time you are working with material or product that may contained inorganic lead.
- Stripping lead based paint, especially sanding, grinding and abrasive blasting.
- Oxy acetylene or arc cutting/welding/brazing where lead is in the metal, on the metal as paint.
- Soldering, brazing or removing old solder.
- Scrap metal salvage or recycling.
- Handling pipe dope and lead-containing greases.
- Cleaning or repairing lead acid batteries.
- Handling hydrogen sulphide (H2S) sensing tape (coated in lead acetate).
- Landfill remediation work where waste paint, lead acid batteries, pipe dope, lead containing greases, lead-containing gasoline additives or others have been buried.
Controlling Risk of Exposure:
- Identify other materials that may contain more than 0.06% lead by weight.
- Notify workers of structural materials and equipment coated in lead paint before they perform any work operations that may liberate lead into the air.
- Follow specific safe work procedures when dealing with lead-containing materials, including use of proper PPE. It must be stressed that the use of correct respirators is the least preferred method of controlling worker exposure and should not normally be use as the only means of preventing or minimizing exposure during routine operations.
Share This Article
Subscribe to our RSS Feed. What is RSS?