What are some of the common causes of injuries to hands and fingers, most of which usually are preventable? They include struck by hammers, pinched between objects being moved, cut by sharp objects, pierced by splinters and slivers, burned by hot objects or chemicals and caught in moving machinery.
The following are some ways in which to prevent hand injuries from occurring:
- Store tools so that cutting edges are protected, do not operate tools unless all guards are operable and in place.
- Always disconnect the power source before changing blades, knives, bits or other sharp accessories.
- Keep all cutting edges sharp to avoid kickbacks, slips and tool breakage.
- Be alert for cuts and punctures from pointed tools, wires, nails, steel and masonry chips, wood splinters.
- Use proper tools when cutting materials, cords, etc.
- Wear the proper gloves for the task being performed. Gloves are mandatory here on any given Pipeworx Project.
- Avoid pinch points when handling all materials or working in particular locations.
- Above all: Make a plan and walk the plan.
- Never attempt to use or handle any chemical until you have reviewed its corresponding material safety data sheet, which will identify the dangers and personal protective equipment requirements.
- Have guards in place at all times.
- Use the right PPE for the job and do not take any shortcut.
Share This Article
Subscribe to our RSS Feed. What is RSS?